“The mind has an idea, perhaps pleasurable, and it wants to be like that idea, which is a projection of your desire. You are this, which you do not like, and you want to become that, which you like. The ideal is a self-projection; the opposite is an extension of what is; it is not the opposite at all, but a continuity of what is, perhaps somewhat modified. The projection is self-willed, and conflict is the struggle towards the projection. You are struggling to become something, and that something is part of yourself. The ideal is your own projection. See how the mind has played a trick upon itself. You are struggling after words, pursuing your own projection, your own shadow. You are violent, and you are struggling to become nonviolent, the ideal; but the ideal is a projection of what is, only under a different name.” – J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life
this winter, erika akire is curating a collaborative zine on the following theme:
for folks who might not be familiar, zines are basically self-published works — often in the forms of book(let)s or pamphlets, and often photocopied for low-cost, easy distribution. they range widely in topic/theme and aesthetic. some zines are created just by one author, while others are collections of works by several folks.
guiding questions include, but are not limited to:
- what does humility mean to you? how do you define it?
- why does humility matter to you?
- how has humility manifested in your life? when and how has humility impacted your self, your truth, your perspective, and/or your relationship to others?
- is humility healing? is it harmful?
the guidelines are brief:
- submissions can be anything that can be put on paper and photocopied – photos, text, poetry, etc.
- submissions must be submitted digitally.
- submissions should be at least 300 dpi in resolution.
- zines will be printed in black and white – keep that in mind when producing your work.
- each submission should be two pages or less.
additional agreements for submission are as follows:
- feel free to submit more than one work for consideration. if your work is selected, you’ll receive a copy of the finished zine if you wish.
- submissions can be anonymous.
- submissions that are hateful, violent, and/or oppressive will not be accepted (e.g. racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, transphobic.)
- you’re agreeing to allow for the distribution of the work in public spaces, like libraries.
- you’re agreeing to allow the finished zine to be sold and/or distributed in spaces such as zine expos and zine festivals. any revenue generated from the sale of zines will be solely to cover the costs of printing + labor; all proceeds will be donated. (suggestions for places to donate welcome.)
ready to submit? get started here. submissions are due march 1, 2018.
questions? get in touch.
i pulled the following oracle cards on 04 january 2018:
inner voice: when i listen to my inner voice, i feel less anxious or worried or afraid of what might happen, or of what others might think. i feel more grounded and rooted in myself and in the universe and feel a gentle calm that everything is going to be okay.
earth: mother earth has my feet, has my back. i need to tread mother earth lightly. i am guided and strengthened by the feminine power of mother earth. she is nurturing, kind, loving, and always giving, even when people mistreat or misuse her. i come from earth and i return to earth.
the beginning: recovery is a long term project. every breath is a new beginning. every morning is a new beginning. reflection is a time for new beginnings. we are constantly growing, regenerating our cells. the universe is forever expanding. the new year is another new beginning, but it’s not the only new beginning.
see more on Etsy. reach out if you have any questions!